Miguel (Updated)

Jorge Hernandez is a fictional character created by author Mima. Check out this blog that is from his point of view. 

To learn more about this series, go to www.mimaonfire.com

My family was poor during the early years of my life. For this reason, I often felt like an animal trapped in a cage, full of energy, craving excitement but limited to the small world that my Papá had created. I knew I wanted more. I needed more, but as a child, what could I do?

It was the day that my cousin drove up on a dirtbike that something changed inside me. I was 12 years old, and everything about it was exciting; the sound, the speed, the power! I begged him to teach me how to drive, and he avoided the question, briefly explaining how his beautiful new toy worked and inviting me for a ride. 

He didn't have to ask twice.

We drove away from the house slowly, mama glancing out of the window with a scowl on her face. My younger brother Miguel crouched in the doorway as if unsure of what to think of this loud machine. It was as if my feelings for the bike and his were the complete opposite. I didn't understand. I found it frustrating that he was not even slightly intrigued by our cousin's new toy, but this was something I quickly forgot about as we got out of mama's view and picked up speed, my heart racing in excitement. This was the most alive I had felt in my life.

We returned home much sooner than I had wished. My brother turned his nose up at the invite from my cousin to go for a drive. He instead slunk over and walked away. Mama invited my cousin into the house to give him something to return to her sister while I continued to eye his beautiful motorbike.

My impulsiveness it always got the best of me. It was like a ball of fire that I could never contain. Feeling confident that I would be able to drive it myself, I encouraged Miguel to climb on with me. I promised I would be careful, that I would drive slow, that it would be ok. He reluctantly agreed, his eyes nervously watching me as he approached. 

It was the worst mistake of my life. 

To learn more, check out the series







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Jorge Hernandez (Updated)

Paige (Updated)